Saturday, December 23, 2006

Home for "Christmas"


Well, we are not technically going to make it home on Monday, but we realized our kids have no clue when Christmas Day actually is....SO...we have been saying to them, "Christmas is when Daddy is coming home!" So, yes...we WILL be home for Christmas! Feels like a giant conspiracy against our children, but can't be any bigger than Santa Claus, right? Hah!

So much to report...these past four days in the hospital has felt forever. We met with J's surgeon yesterday. He stated that the tumor is so large that it has attached, and possibly grown through, his tailbone, prostate and a nearby gland. If the chemo and radiation does not shrink the tumor, then it will be considered INOPERABLE. Hearing that word from a surgeon who seems so confident and optimistic in his skills, we were just beside ourselves all day yesterday. Since we have been in the hospital, we feel like we have been hit with so much everyday. Painful nights, terrible days, and disheartening news. And, not like this has been the pattern for the past few months, but somehow it had gotten even more intense. The plan yesterday was to do another colonoscopy. Hearing that this procedure was going to be done, we both felt like we got slapped in the face with the mention of it. It just seemed like such a horrible thing to do to add to J's pain. And, although it seemed helpful...J can barely tolerate any type of added pain right now, so it was heart-wrenching through the preparation and recovery. We were talking that everyday we get hit with things, and not just things, but NEW and HUGE things. I told him that for someone who does not like change, and likes control, he is doing really well with all of these blows. With the colonoscopy, our surgeon wanted to look at the current tumor state, the blockage width, and if possible try to laser off part of the tumor to decrease the blockage, thus bringing J some immediate relief. So, the procedure got done, and J recovered last night with his pain regulated with meds. Our surgeon was able to dilate the blockage of scar tissue, and actually saw no visible signs of the tumor. He felt a hard mass beneath the colon wall surface, but does not know if it was the tumor or scar tissue. So, everyone is encouraged and believes that the tumor is beginning to shrink. It still needs to shrink enough to provide adequate space to surgically be removed, so they are just letting the treatment run its course, and hopefully the end result will be what we are so desperately hoping for. So, tentatively, surgery is scheduled for the end of January if all goes as planned.

So, we are feeling better today. We finally feel we have built an incredible team of specialists who are not only are focused on a cancer free end result for J, but who also strive to improve his quality of life right now. We have found doctors who we trust, and who have taken the time to understand what we are going through, and continue to invest the time to explore every option to see J get some relief while in their care. They put J on an oral liquid diet after the procedure, but are still continuing the TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition) through his IV. Last night he was not able to tolerate anything by mouth, so we once again had to give him total gut rest. (As, I am sitting here typing, J just awoke from a quick nod off and said with his eyes still closed, "Oooh, I just bit into a cinnamon bun..." I can see his teeth and lips still chomping down through the air, and I cannot stop laughing!) So, we either have to get approval from our insurance for TPN home care OR J has to be able to tolerate eating to get home. Both options seem like uphill battles right now. We need our Christmas miracle!

7 Comments:

Blogger HapaMama said...

Jim & Rem,

This news is so hard to read. My heart really aches for you both right now. I'll join you in praying for that Christmas miracle.

I like your plan about postponing Christmas until Daddy gets home.

We are holding fast to the hope that this horrid tumor will shrink quickly and give Jim relief. So glad you have a solid team of doctors at your side.

Aloha,
Kanani

11:25 PM  
Blogger Edean & Munn said...

We are praying that your Christmas will be here soon. We think about you all the time and send you our best thoughts and energies.

It is so painful to read what you are going through. You're the picture of courage to us. We are on your side and want that Christmas miracle to be yours.

When I had my breast cancer, I always put my hand on the spot and told it that I was appreciative of all the years of health it gave me and that it was a time for all the bad cells to go away. I never had pain and suffering like Jimmy has experienced. We're praying his tumor will shrink.

Remember, if Uncle Munn can do anything for you, do not hesitate to ask.

Love,
Aunty Edean

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Jim and Rem, I am at a loss for words after reading your blog...I'm so sad and sorry that you are going thru all of this. I want to call but at the same time, I don't want to bother you. Please know that Ryan and I pray for you all the time.

Love,
Christina

2:55 AM  
Blogger Perez Ohana said...

We are all standing with you rem and jimi! We love you!

Rick and Karlene

12:04 AM  
Blogger Perez Ohana said...

I just have to add that your kids are beautiful...that santa on the other hand...he does no justice! Where the heck did Kahala find him?! We got a photo there the other week and he still looks goofy. *sigh* Maybe next year will be better...I hear Pearlridge has a good one! =)

12:06 AM  
Blogger Elise said...

Rem & Jim,

We've never met, but I've heard so much about you (from Rachael) that I feel like I know you & your family.

My husband & I have a daughter who has had to endure chemotherapy, so our hearts go out to you & your children, since these are, by far, the most difficult of days.

Our daughter is fine now & enjoying life, like any other 9 year old. But while we were going through it all, it was so hard to imagine life getting better...so don't give up hope.

You have been in my thoughts & prayers constantly.

Elise

10:04 PM  
Blogger Toni Hicks said...

Rem and Jim,

We're just back from New Jersey and are sad to hear the latest news. Good for you for postponing Christmas til Jim gets home! We hope so dearly that Jim's tumor is shrinking, and that surgery will move forward as planned.

You guys are amazing, still seeing humor where it's to be found. I had to laugh too about Jim's imaginary cinnamon bun. At one point when my dad was hospitalized & off of food for a while, he couldn't stop talking about eating. He'd wake up from a nap or greet a new visitor by saying something like, "You know what's good? ... EGGS." Or some other random food you hadn't ever thought twice about.

Love & miss you so much. Sending you lots of hugs and encouragement. Thank you, Rem, for keeping us in the loop.

xoxo Toni

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home