Monday, December 04, 2006

Tunnels and Lights

We have this tradition in our family, which started when we were young, when we drive up the Pali Highway to the Eastside we hold our breath through the lengths of the tunnels. We just started doing this with our kids every week as we go to church, and their little bodies shiver in their carseats while trying to hold in both their breaths and their laughter. It is hilarious and nostalgic to watch thinking of my own childhood car rides. I have had two conversations recently about the "tunnels and lights" on this journey of ours. Last night at church, someone said to me, "This is the kind of thing that it isn't ever really over." I had never really thought about it that way until that very moment. I mean, I stated I was in this for the long haul, but having that statement said to me really hit me like a ton of bricks. I guess in my idealistic head, I really saw this whole thing being over after surgery in January, and then we could move on with our lives. I had never stopped to think about it turning out in a different way other than in our favor. Then tonight, a girlfriend who works in pediatric oncology said to me, "With adult cancer it is really different because there is really no light at the end of the tunnel." I guess that is really how we feel right now, like we are in this dark tunnel, holding our breaths and just waiting to see the light at the end to be able to exhale in relief. But the thing is...and yes, I will admit it...I am truthfully still afraid of the dark. So, I really don't want to just wait for the light at the end of the tunnel....I want it NOW. I want it to see what is around me, what is in front of me, and how long it is until the end. Many people have told us "all of this has a purpose" or "GOD has a plan for this". And, not like we don't trust GOD completely, but we almost want to shout back, "Well, if you know what the plan is, then let us know because we are in the dark here!" But, what if this isn't about finding the light at the end of the tunnel? What if it isn't about knowing the purpose of the journey or the destination? What if we are suppose to be in the dark just to learn to TRUST Him and move in faith. So, we will keep moving forward in faith...


"We Are Never Alone" (emailed to me by a girlfriend the other day)

Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of passage? His father takes him into the forest blindfolded and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not take off the blindfold until the ray of sun shines through it. He is all by himself. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night...he is a MAN. He cannot tell the other boys of this experience. Each lad must come into his own manhood.

The boy is terrified...he can hear all kinds of noise...beasts are all around him. Maybe even some human would hurt him. The wind blows the grass and earth...and it shakes his stump. But he sits stoically...never removing the blindfold. It is the only way he can be a man. Finally, after a horrific night..the sun appears and he removes his blindfold. It was then that he sees his father..sitting on the stump next to him...at watch...the entire night.

We are never alone. Even when we do not know it, our Father is protecting us...He is sitting on the stump beside us.
All we have to do is reach out to Him.




"Faith is the bird that sings to the dawn while it is still dark." ~ Kabir

3 Comments:

Blogger jim&kathy said...

Dear Jim & Rem,
The Lord woke me up at 2:00AM for some reason, so I came downstairs not wanting to wake Kathy. After checking our email, I knew His purpose was for me to pray for you both. Earlier today on our morning walk, Kathy was praying for you and my heart was so heavy. Now I sit here weeping after reading your latest postings. They are both tears of sorrow and joy...sorrow for the pain you are enduring and joy for what God is obviously doing in you through the trials. My thoughts return to the times we sat out on the lanai and tried to help you guys through another stormy journey, long since past and conquered. With God's help, this journey should be no different. While life's circumstances change, God never does. He is always faithful, always loving and always wants what is best for us.

I know what you're saying about the darkness. Its scary at times. A few minutes ago I got up and turned off all the lights downstairs and just sat in the dark for awhile. When I turned the lights back on, I noticed that nothing had changed except for the fact that I now could see what I could only imagine earlier. When the darkness comes, we have both the ability and the choice to imagine what surrounds us, or what lurks around the corner. Consider Philippians 4:6-9. No matter what the circumstances are, one thing we can be certain of is that Jesus is with us and He will never leave or forsake us. Comparatively, whatever else is out there in the dark is "small kine stuffs", to use the wisdom of pidgin. God is well able.

Something funny?? Well, here's one on flatulence, just in case that's a byproduct of Jim's treatments. Two elderly ladies leaving church after a lengthy and boring service were overheard to say this. "Marge, the parson's message was so long that my butt fell asleep during the service. I know Mavis, everybody could hear it snoring." Next time you have a bout of flatulence, just tell folks that your butt snores when it falls asleep. There's no shame in that. Actually, what makes this joke even funnier to us is that Kathy's mom told it to us! Never thought we'd hear that from her.

Well, its after 4:00 AM now and Kathy just came downstairs after missing me. I think we'll pray together for awhile for you guys and then try to go back to sleep. Just know that you will remain in our prayers. I suspect you especially need them right now. Whatever the circumstances, we have faith that God will see you through this. May you find peace, rest and strength in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Love & Faith,
Jim & Kathy

P.S. I tried to put this on the blogsite but could not get past the protocols for some reason. Kathy could probably have figured it out, but I got bloged-down.

PPS or is that PSS...It's Kathy and Yes, I did get it figured out:) Love you guys.

7:41 AM  
Blogger prestonandrobin said...

JandR
i don't have any words right now. i've read your blogs for the first time.
just trying to comprehend all that you both may be enduring.
i'll write again soon. i'll pray for now.
Jim, i would give you a big, awkwardly long hug right now if i were able. i love you earnestly.
your friend,
preston

6:49 AM  
Blogger Perez Ohana said...

Dear Jim and Rem,

Thank you so much for these encouraging words. Thank you for allowing us to join with you and your family on this journey. You all are such a blessing to us.

You both have been weighing SO HEAVILY upon my hear this past week. I have been praying earnestly for you. Praying for strength, comfort, joy, peace, faith, love. I saw a picture of a well and so I prayed that you would be able to draw from HIS well buckets and buckets full of water. Water of life, strength, refreshment, peace, joy, laughter....you know, the GOD stuff. When you are just so "sick and tired" of everything, draw yet another bucket full from HIS well. He will sustain you.

I love you both...and the kiddoes too. We will continue to pray pray pray!

Karlene

PS On a lighter note...Eliza recently started to crawl. You folks never warned me of this chaos! Gosh, you remember when your little guys were this age?! We have our christmas tree up and entire bottom half is completely bare! Tennyson keeps asking why the tree is so bare....hmmmmm you think he might figure out why or should I tell him? =) Love you guys!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home