Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Removing the Belt


Yesterday was a GOOD day! In the morning, we met with an old friend whose daughter used to play with Mia when they were toddlers. Their daughter is now a near drowning survivor, and her mom has become a wealth of research and knowledge in providing her the best care possible. We had met during a moms bible study a few years back, but we became close when we were dealing with Mia's allergy challenges, and their daughter's accident. We used to call and email back and forth with new information or products we had found to try for each of our precious girls. So, yesterday when we finally got a chance to talk on the phone I said to her, "Hey friend, nice to be back in the trenches with you again!" She has made incredible progress with her daughter's healing, (which you can check out at www.prayforabby.com), and a lot of the treatments she said cross over for cancer patients. So, she was excited to be able to share the information and products with us. When we left her house with the products in hand, that she generously gave us, warmly she said to J, "Just take these and feel better." She continues to be an incredible inspiration, and someone I totally trust during this journey both in product knowledge and spiritual grounding.

By the afternoon, the waiting finally was over for the test results. The medical oncologist faxed us the PET scan report that read: NO EVIDENCE OF REGIONAL OR DISTANT METASTASIS (spreading). The exhale of relief and elation was indescribable. Also, the tumor was measured a centimeter smaller than all the other tests done prior. We know that none of the tests are completely definitive, but we are definitely believing that the tumor is shrinking! Both sides of our families were overjoyed, and we were all smiles the rest of the night. We just kept looking at each other saying that this the first good news we have received in weeks. J said yesterday was a "brighter day" in getting the new products from our friend, and then the great PET scan results. He also seems mentally stronger the past few days. He said today that he has a hard time believing that he even has cancer. I agreed in that feeling. I said, "If it wasn't for the tube sticking out of you...I wouldn't think you had cancer either! Hah!" But, I also said, I think it is good that we don't believe it. I feel like by the time we actually digest it, it will be gone! This is not something that is staying with us for very long!

When I talked with J's mom over the weekend, we were sharing how we were both feeling, and she told me the sweetest story to describe her love for her son. She said when Jimmy was a little boy they were at a wedding, and he kept complaining his tummy hurt all night. She finally took him out to the car and found that he had cinched his belt so tightly around his waist it was digging into his tummy, thus causing his pain. She said, even now, as she thinks of her "little boy" going through all this pain, she wishes she could just remove that belt and take it all away.

Yesterday, we really mentally feel like a couple of notches on the "belt" have been loosened. We are continuing in our battle against the cancer, but feel so thankful that it is contained....and shrinking! YES!

9 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

PRAISE GOD from whom all blessings flow!! I was waiting, holding my breath, hoping for this update. I am SO overjoyed for you all. It only gets better from here...you are on the way!!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a positive upswing. We are so happy to hear your news. Thinking and praying a lot about you lately. Live strong!!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH! What good news. Thanks for sharing what's going on with you and your family. We love and miss you all and are thrilled things are looking up!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard about Jim through Abbie's blog site. I'll be praying for you all and will check on you regularly via this site (I will add you to my favorites so I can on you regularly as I do for Abbie). Take care, God bless, and I applaud you for your courage in sharing your journey.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very encouraging news. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers have been with you in this since we came to know your situation and we really thank God for watching you with His love and answering yours and the prayers of many for you and your family.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! We'll keep praying! LOVE and MISS you guys! xoxoxox
Amy

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome God, awesome news! I love the entries about God carrying you on wings as eagles and how He is the only unchangeable one in the entire universe. I hope we all face our trials with as much faith, trust and perspective as you are demonstrating. Thanks for sharing the journey with us and encouraging us in the Way. We are praying for you, as are ladies in our women's Bible study. Press on...

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great news about the PET scan. Hang in there big Jim, I know it seems like a long road but you will definitely get through the challenge and beat it

6:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey guys -

i don't even know where to begin. it seems like one day things are going well and the next day they're not, but i think the important thing is to keep fighting. you guys have such a great attitude and everything will get better. my thoughts and prayers are with you. keep your head up jim!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home