Saturday, December 02, 2006

Laughter Therapy Needed

We are having a rough time. J has officially said, "It is getting hard." And for him to actually say that...means it must be hard. I thought we had past "hard" a few weeks back, but I already declared my wimpiness long ago in comparison to his! His enduring strength continues to astound me. I was thinking why it seems so hard and tiring most of the time. I feel like the schedule is like having a newborn (and it can't be the first because you still get to nap with having the one baby! Hah!) J has been continuing to lose more weight, which have all the doctors concerned, so I have been making him meal replacement shakes (around 500 calories each!) and veggie broths every two hours. But, I realized that when you have a newborn, despite the sleep deprivation, there is so much joy and happiness that goes along with it. Where we are at, there is so much bad news always coming in. We never leave the doctors appointments with any encouragment or relieving news every week. So, I think emotionally and mentally it has been so tiring. So, here is where you all come in...

Everyone, from the start, has said, "if there is ANYTHING we can do let us know". Well, we are pretty low right now...J said, "I feel like I am losing the battle." And, I did try to pep talk him in saying this isn't about winning of losing right now, but just to stay the course until the end. But, I know I wasn't as peppy as I usually am. So, we are asking for you all to pitch in right now and provide us with daily doses of laughter therapy. Please post funny things you or your kids have done, stupid jokes, whatever.....Our ONLY request is...PLEEEEZE don't send us a million "Fwds" to our email of cats sitting on toilets, fat guys in thongs or chain letters that if we don't pass them on to at least twenty people we will get cancer....oh, shoot! Well, obviously, we didn't follow up on the previous emails! Hah!


So, for all of you daily silent blog checkers...you know who you are...give us a good laugh! And, for those of you naturally born trash talkers...you TOTALLY know who you are...feel free to rip on the tumor! I am actually encouraged by the anger in J because I think it is a reflection of the "fighter" in him towards this cancer. We were driving home the other day, after a long morning at the hospital, and every idiot with a drivers licence was on the road. J was getting so irritated, he started cussing in the seat next to me. I was cracking up and told him, "Boy! The toxicity from the chemo has really affected your speech! You big potty mouth!" He replied, "Yup, no one better push my buttons because it is just flyin' out right now!" So, we were joking that we will start the laughter and gratitude therapy six days a week, and then the last day just let J swear and yell at someone! Any volunteers?

Thanks, everyone! We continue to be so blessed with all your support, prayers and encouragement.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine..." Proverbs 17:22

8 Comments:

Blogger HapaMama said...

Here's my best shot at a laugh:

Last Sunday, Rach gave us a bunch of blank index cards. I decided to make flash cards, since my 3 year old doesn't know his lower case letters very well.

As we went through the stack, he repeated the letters after me. Some he knew, some he didn't.

We got to 's', and he said, "I know, 's'."

"Very good," I said. "How about this one?"

When I flashed the 't', he shouted "church!!!"

It took me a second, but I figured out that he thought it was a cross. After all, there is a big letter 't' in the front of church.

Love you guys,
Kanani

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad was so happy yesterday to hear a NPR show report that women speak 20,000 words a day, while men only utter about 7.000 (and that includes all the grunts and other sounds). He was happy because he realized that he is not the only guy who lives with a wife who talks through games on TV and late at night when he's trying to fall asleep.

I'm sure that Jimmy can't relate to that at all, huh?

One reason to be thankful, Rem & Jim: You will only hear the Wong Society Ukulele "Ensemble" perform at the annual holiday party. WE get to hear them practice their Christmas songs -over and over again—for the next few hours! Stop the madness! (Remind me why we connected the houses again?)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Toni Hicks said...

Hey, sweeties,

Rach got me thinking about that NPR study on how much more women talk than men. Hmmm. Those of you who've met my chattychattychatty husband Kevin will understand why I can't quite relate. I think the study forgot to include the oh-so-verbose demographic of firstborn/only sons of Italian mamas!

Rem, thanks so much for keeping us all so vividly and candidly in the loop on your and Jim's ups and downs. You are such an amazing writer! The two of you are an incredible couple (wow, ten years!), and a force to be reckoned with.

Lots & lots of love to you both and of course to Mia and Brother.

Toni

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not very funny, so I'm going to just relate something from our house. Rach chipped one of our mugs yesterday in the sink when she dropped a pyrex on it (Rach's protesting because her new gloves are slippery). Anyway, when she couldn't find the chip (because she probably ground it up in the disposal), she speculated that it could have been broken prior to the alleged incident. When confronted by the overwhelming evidence, she had this retort "I was just exploring the possibilities." We laughed, when I said "typical Wong revisionist fashion."

Let the Wong throwdown begin.

Love you guys,
Brad

12:24 AM  
Blogger HapaMama said...

OK, I have another one:

We were in the car the other day and my little fellow requested "keiki music" (as opposed to "mommy's music" or daddy's static-y AM radio talkshow). So I popped a Raffi CD in, and he then started insisting on hearing a specific song.

"Put 'Happy and Nainoa' on, Mommy!" he kept insisting.

"Happy and Nainoa?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah. 'If you're happy and Nainoa, clap your hands!' Put that one on."

(Nainoa is one of his little friends.)

1:12 AM  
Blogger Hawaii Mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:05 PM  
Blogger tina pierce said...

Hi Rem and Jim,

Jim, I know we've never met before but if you possess even an ounce of strength the Wong sisters have, you'll make it through, no problem. From reading previous posts, it sounds like you've got the strength area covered. =)

I can certainly appreciate the need to let the anger and frustration out, in regards to swearing and stuff as I do it all the time. I'll volunteer if you ever need someone...maybe I'll learn a new swear word or two, you know, to improve my vocabulary.

Since you're a sports fan, maybe you can understand: I took part in a survivor pool at work for NFL games. Basically, you pick one team a week to win, no repeats. So, this past week, I chose Indianapolis as I had saved one of the best for the last few weeks. Guess what?? They lost!! To the Titans, no less. Grr.....(insert swear word here)

Rem, I know it's been years, but you, Jim, and the kids are in my thoughts. Much love to all of you. Peace.

4:13 PM  
Blogger brucenakamura said...

Actually Rem, it ain't the chemo that is making Jim a potty mouth.

You should hear him on the basketball court.

Couple of elbows, and his mouth is no holier than any of ours....

KEEP FIGHTING JIM!!!!!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home