Sunday, April 29, 2007

Gripped For A Miracle

J got throught the surgery well. They were able to put the stent in and save his right kidney. He came out of surgery in a lot of pain, but is now managed well with the right meds and dosages. He has already been up walking around and slowly started liquids today...

J's surgeon was also able to reroute the blockage in J's small intestine. But, when they opened J up our surgeon said there were tumors everywhere. He said it was like salt had been sprinkled all over and the individual grains grew and then connected to each other to form a sheet over everything. He described it like frosting on a cake...some areas were thick where the tumors were larger and built up, and other areas were thin like a sheet. He said they are unable to remove cancer like this and closed J back up. The tumor were the reason for the blockage because it had grown and smothered that one area of J's small intestine and restricted the flow. The tumors were also the reason for the abnormal scan because they were covering everything from view. J's surgeon said the cancer must have been in J's system already when they removed the first large tumor in the end of January. He said it is so shocking that the cancer has grown so fast since it hasn't even been three months.

We are shocked and devestated, but thankful we know. We do not regret going to Texas because J is so much stronger now. And, this seems like this would have happened no matter what because while we were in Texas it was the time that J wouldn't have had chemotherapy anyway. We do not know what we are going to do at this point, but we are looking at all options so J can enjoy his time, see the people he loves and continue to fight until he no longer can.

Last night, we we lay in J's hospital bed holding each other and weeping, it was the first time I said, "This is unfair." I know that GOD has a plan for all this, but I cannot see how that plan could not have J in our lives. J used to bring me beautiful shells from his dives after work. We would play this game where he held his two fists out in front of me and I had to guess where my surprise was. I always shocked J by guessing correctly EVERY time. After the twentieth time, I finally offered to share my secret to my perfect score. I told him that he always, ever so subtley, gave it away by holding the shell in his hand a little tighter than the hand that was empty. I always knew where my treasure lay by his excitement that showed in his gripped fingers and whitened knuckles. I believe that GOD's hand is like this as we wait for our miracle. His mighty hand is gripped and steady around the healing. Yes, we are heartbroken, but pressing on and praying for the release of GOD's miracle. We trust GOD, in His perfect time and perfect way (Psalm 18:30), and know He will save us from this no matter what. But, we am prayerfully hoping His plan is for healing...for here, and for now.

15 Comments:

Blogger Perez Ohana said...

I am so sorry.........no words can express what I feel inside. I just pray that this time will be special for you Jim. Love you folks and know that we are here for you always...

12:57 AM  
Blogger Toni Hicks said...

Oh, sweeties,
what can any of us say, really, about such devastating news? You're an incredible team, and you've gotten this far with unbelievable strength, grace, humor, faith, and love. I'm filled with great sadness, but also with continuing admiration for you both in this difficult journey...
Lots of love, from Kev & the girlies too.
Toni

8:19 AM  
Blogger hazen fam said...

so sad and sorry. we are praying for a miracle with you.
we love you all very much

10:38 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

My heart goes out to you Rem and Jim. I'm praying with you for a miracle.
much love,
Hillary

10:59 AM  
Blogger HapaMama said...

We are crying and praying with you.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Hawaii Mom said...

Dear Rem and Jim,

We love you. We are crying with you.....our hearts are broken.

Dave and I are continuing to pray for you, Jim, Mia, and little Levi.

Rem, Your sweet story about Jim hiding the shells in his tight fisted grip made me weep and cry......how sweet is that? Too sweet for me... as I type this my heart breaks, .... the love you have for one another, your faith, your family convicts me, probably many who read this blog.....your lives makes me want to cry out to our Lord more, makes me want to seek Jesus more deeply, and makes me sad to see how I take my family for granted.

We love you, we are praying for you. San and Dave

5:28 PM  
Blogger Yamamoto's said...

Jim and Rem,

We just wanted you to know that we're thinking of you and wished there was something we could do, praying just doesn't seem like enough sometimes...but we are. Please know that we do love you and our hearts hurt for you. We're blown away at your faith, love and trust in Jesus. Thank you for displaying such an incredible example of what it means to really worship the Lord with all you heart, mind, soul and strength. Keep holding on to His hem.

Love,
Ross, Kimie, Ryah and Ezra

8:02 PM  
Blogger catherine said...

oh rem, oh jim. i feel your sadness in this very difficult time. i'm sending you my love,
catherine

8:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We are standing with you guys for a healing here in now. May His will be done here on earth as it is in heaven, where there are no tumors. We are contending with you for the miraculous.

10:34 PM  
Blogger tak07 said...

Jim, Rem -- you are in our thoughts and prayers.
May God bless you and give you all the strength, faith, and peace in the world.
Much Aloha,
Tak

5:42 AM  
Blogger foreverabruin said...

rem and jim - words cannot begin to express how sad this news makes me - you're in our thoughts constantly,

erika and adam

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you! We love you! We love you! Last night I woke myself and mike up at 4am as I was sleeping in the midst of a dream, praying out loud for a miracle! In my dream I recalled every detail of your words Rem and had a strange understanding of the following: Jim's healing would be by God's mighty and gracious hand, not by the mastery of a surgeon's hands or by the innovation of a researcher but by HIS hand. I saw Jim walking on the beach up toward you Rem and he was so happy and completely healthy. I don't know if it was a mere moment of strength and health or a vision of his spiritual body. But he was peaceful, rested and exuding pure joy! We are standing with you and praying for the miracle so that many will see God and His glory!

Hugs, kisses, prayers..
-Mike and Eden

4:47 PM  
Blogger karen lee said...

I apologize that you have not heard from us in such a long time. My tears can't stop. This news is just too much. We love you guys so much. We have prayed so hard and I just don't understand God. But we will continue to pray, we won't give up praying, we know Jesus loves us too deeply.

Karen, Tony, Meimei and Lan Lan

5:14 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

HI loves,,,,Our hearts are breaking. We love you guys, and are praying for your beautiful family. Thinking of you always,love& kisses~ Julian, Camille, Kaiea, Keanu, & Kaira

10:00 AM  
Blogger Aunty Fran said...

Dear Remi and Jim,

Thank you for sharing your journey of love, faith, healing, courage, family, resilience and now peace.

I sense a tremenous love and peace after reading your latest message.

May you continue to trust in God and yourselves as you continue onward to enjoy life's many simple pleasures.

Always keeping you in my prayers,

Love, Aunty Fran

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home