
Well, after a long night of throw up, sleeping on the living room floor, coughs and potty runs, we are all recovering well today, surprisingly. As hard as it has been, it felt good being "mom" again, rather than a wife caring for her husband who has cancer. Even quarantined, J fought off a sore throat all last night, but says he is feeling good today. We are coming up on our "Have-to-eat-real-food-TPN" deadline, January 10th, but the doctors are working to extend the home care for us. We started J on some poi (Hawaiian starch staple made of taro and water), and he has been able to tolerate it well. I am basically trying to remember what I started our kids on when they began eating solid foods. I roasted some organic sweet potatoes, and pureed them with some rice milk, but J got nauseous and couldn't get them down. Tonight I gave him some quinoa pasta with coconut oil and salt. He said it tasted like heaven! He was saying after all of this, he should be allowed to eat anywhere for free for two months. I told him they should give him a "Cancer Card", like a VIP pass to dine anywhere for free! Hah!
So, we are taking baby steps in the right direction. J is not only maintaining his weight, but actually gained two pounds since we have been home. And, as much as I don't enjoy cooking, I am excited for the day when he can eat again and his main course isn't a bag hanging from an IV pole.
3 Comments:
Hi Rem and Jim,
So glad to hear that some of the food you are trying is actually staying down! Isn't it great when you find something that won't make you more nauseous or come back up?
I had gastroparesis (the nerves in my stomach were damaged) a few years back and for about six months, could not keep anything down. I tried everything, and finally found two foods my stomach could handle: soft boiled rice and grilled cheese sandwiches! HA...so I basically lived off that for a month or so until the medicine my doctors prescribed finally kicked in. It's waaaay better than throwing up, that's for sure =).
Hopefully you will be able to handle more as time goes on. Stay strong!
T
Hi guys I am glad to hear things are going a bit better for you. I was talking to a friend of mine who's father is recovering from colon cancer. His father told him that his tastebuds completely changed with he was going through treatment. He had to relearn what foods he liked, because what he liked to eat before treatment completely grossed him out. His favorite thing in the world was microwaved 7up, while and after his battle (weird I know, but he loved it!) So I guess its just trial and error. Sending my love from the mainland.
Janine
Jim, Rem, Brother, and no matter how old she gets to me... Baby Mia,
I'm glad to hear that Jim could get down some solid foods. It's just the first stepping stones to what I guess we call normal. lol. Keeping you guys in my prayers daily. Tell the little munchkins that I say hello. And can't wait to get the chance to see them again.
Sending my love all the way from Pitt,
Geoff
Post a Comment
<< Home